Director of Expansion
About GreenLight FundFounded in 2004, GreenLight Fund is a national nonprofit with a local focus that partners with communities to create opportunities for inclusive prosperity. In our 12 soon to be 13 sites, we facilitate a community-driven process that matches the local needs of individuals and families not met by existing programs, to organizations with track records of success elsewhere. Working with communities, we identify, invite in, and launch proven organizations from other areas in the country, providing collaborative support so they can quickly take root and deliver change. Everything we do is designed to remove barriers to inclusive economic opportunity all too often rooted in racial inequities.
Our impact increases exponentially as we address one specific, community-identified need each year, in each GreenLight site. Since 2004, we have launched more than 50 portfolio organizations across 12 sites, invested $37M, and attracted an additional $259M from other funding sources, reaching more than 390,000 individuals and families in 2023 alone.
GreenLight Fund is headquartered in Boston, with sites in Atlanta, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Chicago, Detroit, Kansas City, Newark, Philadelphia, the San Francisco Bay Area, and the Twin Cities. GreenLight is continuing to expand and adding at least one new site each year with potential to grow to two new cities per year, including Denver in 2024, Miami in 2025, and exploring launching Dallas in 2026.
GreenLight Fund continues to grow strategically, with a focus on deepening community impact, growing to new cities, building our learning capacity, building strategic partnerships, and centering equity in all that we do.
This new role offers an exciting opportunity to partner with, learn from, and learn alongside GreenLight Fund’s Co-Founder and Board Chair, John Simon, to actively engage and collaborate with external stakeholders to launch new sites and build transformational partnerships. The Director of Expansion will work across multiple cities at a variety of stages to ensure the engagement of a diverse coalition of community members including local leaders, philanthropists, corporate partners, non-profit colleagues, and educational constituents to galvanize support for GreenLight. The Director of Expansion will design systems and processes, manage communications (internal and external), and collaborate cross-functionally to ensure that expansion to new sites is carried out with fidelity, and in alignment with GreenLight's vision, mission, values, and strategy. In partnership with the Board Chair, and over time, the Director of Expansion will take on additional responsibilities related to expansion fundraising.
In 2024, the Director of Expansion will strategically support ongoing expansion efforts in Dallas, and the entry of GreenLight into Miami, and facilitate the qualification, selection, and exploration of Site #16.
Reporting to the Vice President, Development & Expansion (VPDE), the Director of Expansion will serve as a member of GreenLight’s Leadership team and join a larger national Development & Expansion (DevEx) team, which includes the Manager of National Development and Expansion, Site Development Manager, and Gift Coordinator.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Expansion Strategy & Infrastructure
- Partner with the Board Chair and VPDE to execute and continuously refine the strategy to effectively explore and launch one new city a year.
- Ensure GreenLight has the infrastructure to support its expansion nationally, including but not limited to standard operating procedures, scalable systems, and a communications strategy.
- Execute GreenLight’s codified approach to expansion with fidelity, equity, and efficacy.
- Through thorough research and ongoing dialogue with local stakeholders, develop and maintain landscape analysis of cities in GreenLight’s expansion queue.
- Establish strong communication and coordination with Board Chair, CEO, VPDE, Executive Directors, and the Board of Directors to qualify and select new sites for expansion.
- Develop and maintain current/active deep understanding of GreenLight’s method and impact across the country, and its network of supporters and stakeholders to continuously qualify and inform the selection of future cities for GreenLight expansion.
- Support the identification of key stakeholders in prospective sites, including but not limited to community leaders, philanthropic leaders, corporate partners, non-profit partners, and university partners.
- Create and execute a stakeholder outreach and engagement plan unique to each prospective site and its community members that leverages GreenLight staff and board members.
- In collaboration with the Marketing and Communications team, ensure consistent branding and messaging during the expansion phase of each new site.
- Utilize relationships, research, and local knowledge to contribute ideas and strategic thinking to build a robust investor pipeline for new sites.
- Leverage local relationships, to support the identification of potential candidates for the Founding Executive Director role of a new site.
The Director of Expansion will be an experienced, innovative, and collaborative leader with exceptional communication and relationship/partnership-building skills, with experience managing systems and strategically supporting an organization’s expansion to new sites. They will be an optimistic teammate, with an entrepreneurial spirit and sense of possibility. They will be able to think strategically about the order of doing things and have a demonstrated track record of systems building, roll out, and implementation, while navigating the nuances of developing new initiatives and the complexities of internal and external relationship management to reach a goal. Finally, they are eager to learn and strengthen their skills by effectively delivering and receiving both positive and constructive feedback and are willing to ask for help if needed and look at things from multiple angles.
While no one candidate will possess every quality outlined for this position, the successful candidate will bring many of the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
- Passion for and commitment to GreenLight’s mission and values, including our commitment to racial equity and centering communities in our work.
- 8+ years of professional experience in nonprofit leadership roles, with demonstrated success leading an expansion/partnerships/development function within a high-performing organization, preferably with experience in a national organization with local sites.
- Able to manage a high volume of work with efficiency and prioritization in a fast-paced environment.
- Are results and metrics oriented.
- Exceptional strategic thinking skills, with a proven ability to set priorities, meet goals, and evaluate both process and results.
- Ability to thrive and lead within a dynamic organization with a collaborative, people-centered management style.
- Experience with and a capacity to understand people from different backgrounds, to see the world from others’ perspectives and inspire trust among diverse audiences.
- Direct experience fundraising or the desire to learn fundraising and become very good at it and selling GreenLight’s vision - and anticipated results based on our track record.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop strong relationships across a diverse spectrum of stakeholders.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to author grants and other external documents in partnership with the Development & Expansion and Marketing and Communications teams.
- Capacity to embrace complexity, demonstrate resilience, and the ability to find a way through a challenge, taking others with you along the way.
- Ability to manage up and sideways with the Board Chair, Vice President of Development & Expansion, and the CEO.
This is a remote position, but applicants must live in reasonable proximity to a current GreenLight site: Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Detroit, Kansas City, Greater Newark, Philadelphia, San Francisco, or the Twin Cities or an expansion site: Dallas.
Compensation & BenefitsThis is a full-time, exempt position. The salary for this position is $125,000. GreenLight Fund offers a generous benefits package that includes:
- Health Insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield (80% paid by GLF, 20% by the employee for employees and family members)
- Dental and Vision Insurance through Guardian (80% paid by GLF, 20% by the employee for employees and family members)
- Full coverage of all mental health visit copays through Blue Cross Blue Shield (100% paid by GLF)
- Safe Harbor 401k. GLF will match 100% of the first 3% of salary and 50% of the next 2%
- Short and Long-term disability and Life insurance fully paid by GreenLight Fund
- 10 company-wide holiday closings and 3 floating holidays
- The week between Christmas Day and New Year's Day off
- Up to 12 sick days (6 days in your first year, if you start after July 1st)
- Up to 2 personal days (1 day in your first year, if you start after July 1st)
- COVID-19 Benefits
- Vacation Days: 15 days in years 1-3, 20 days in years 4-5, and 25 days in year 6 and beyond
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave for birth parents, 6 weeks of paid parental leave for non-birth parents
- Up to $75 per month of cell phone reimbursement
- Up to $100 per month of WiFi reimbursement
- Up to $1,500 per year for professional development
- Access to Holisticly (40 Holisticly Credits per Month)
GreenLight Fund is committed to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion at every level of the organization. GreenLight Fund recognizes and appreciates the value of building a diverse workforce and creating an inclusive work environment. GreenLight Fund takes pride in being an equal opportunity employer regardless of age, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental ability, race, region, sexual orientation or veteran status.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected]
Apply for this position